The Advocate Tithe for 2017 will be about $16,000.
The Advocate Tithe for 2016 was distributed as follows:
The IFC $2000
Orange Justice United $1500
The Episcopal Farmworker Ministry $1000
Coalition for Peace with Justice $500
Compass Center $1000
NC Interfaith Power and Light $500
Johnson Service Corps $1000
The Autism Society of North Carolina $500
Club Nova $1000
The Pee Wee Homes (C/o The Advocate) $2000
The Community of the Franciscan Way $1000
The Jackson Center $500
Nancy Murray for Iyad Burnat $200
Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina $1000
Chapel Hill Service League Christmas House $250
The IFC Community House Christmas $260
Vicar’s discretionary fund $1790 Total Advocate Tithe in 2016 = $16,000
- An Application for Support from the Advocate Tithe is posted below for those who would like to request support from the Advocate — whether that support be in the form of volunteer labor or logistical help, advocacy work, financial assistance, or other support from the church.
- Completed forms may be sent to the church at: The Advocate Church Office <email@example.com>.
- Proposals will be evaluated by how closely they match the Advocate’s Core Values (Compassion, Justice, and Transformation) as well as the priorities for giving and involvement identified by the congregation.
Decisions about supporting proposals are made by consensus among those present at meetings of the Community Engagement Facilitators. All proposals for financial or other support will be reviewed and approved on the basis of their fulfillment of our core values.
In our decisions about how to engage with the community around us, we prefer to:
- Support projects that give voice to people who are marginalized and have very little voice.
- Provide not only financial support, but also the time and talent of members of the congregation.
- Support projects in which members of the congregation are already involved.
- Support projects and organizations that are accountable, sustainable, and willing to teach us about their outcomes.
- Support projects and organizations that are willing to send representatives to visit and help educate the congregation about their issues of concern.
- Support groups that promote change, as well as those that meet direct needs.
- 10% of our Tithe grants are given in the spirit of the Millennium Development Goals, usually supporting a ministry overseas.