The Episcopal Church of the Advocate is committed to giving a minimum of 10% of our pledged income and plate offering received each Sunday to individuals and organizations in the community. In other words, for every $10 pledged, $1 will be given to those in need and those working for peace and justice in the world. This offering is called the Advocate Tithe for Community Engagement. Distribution of the Advocate Tithe is determined at the recommendation of the Community Engagement Facilitators.
Procedures for Requesting Support
- Here is the Application for Support from the Advocate Tithe: tithe proposal form
- Completed forms may be sent to the church at: The Advocate Church Office <email@example.com>
- Applications are due by Sunday, November 25.
- Proposals will be evaluated by how closely they match the Advocate’s Core Values (Compassion, Justice, and Transformation) as well as the priorities for giving and involvement identified by the congregation. Priority is given to those programs an projects in which people of the Advocate are directly involved.
Decisions about supporting proposals are made by consensus among those present at meetings of the Community Engagement Facilitators. All proposals for financial or other support will be reviewed and approved on the basis of their fulfillment of our core values.
In our decisions about how to engage with the community around us, we prefer to:
- Support projects that give voice to people who are marginalized and have very little voice.
- Provide not only financial support, but also the time and talent of members of the congregation.
- Support projects in which members of the congregation are already involved.
- Support projects and organizations that are accountable, sustainable, and willing to teach us about their outcomes.
- Support projects and organizations that are willing to send representatives to visit and help educate the congregation about their issues of concern.
- Support groups that promote change, as well as those that meet direct needs.
- 10% of our Tithe grants are given in the spirit of the Millennium Development Goals, usually supporting a ministry overseas.
The Advocate Tithe for 2017 was distributed as follows:
Vicar’s Discretionary Fund $2500
Inter Faith Council $2000
Justice United $1500
Club Nova $1000
Community of the Franciscan Way $1000
EmPOWerment Inc $1000
Autism Society of North Carolina $1000
Compass Center $1000
Johnson Service Corps $1250
Jackson Center $750
Episcopal Farmworker Ministry $1500
Community Empowerment Fund $1000
Farmer Foodshare $500
Church of the Rec Sanctuary $500
Ahli Hospital, Gaza City Palestine $1250
Teachers salaries at St. Innocents Tickolette Haiti $500
To view distributions in previous years, visit here.